The idea of establishing Veerasaiva Vidyavardhaka Sangha in Bellary, was proposed in 5th All India Veerasaiva Mahasabha which was held in Bellary in the year 1909 from 27th to 30th December. Sangha started with the blessings and guidance of Sri. H.H. HanagalKumarswamygal and H.H.Jagadguru Sri.SiddhalingaShivacharyaSwamiji of Ujjaini. It has been formally registered as ‘Madras Veerasaiva Vidyavardhaka Sangha’ on March 7th 1918 under the Presidentship of Sri. KowthaldaGurushanthappa and Vice-Presidentship of Sri.TogariVeeramallappa. It was later changed to ‘Veerasaiva Vidyavardhaka Sangha’ Bellary, when the district was merged with Mysore State in 1933. The activities of Sangha began with providing free hostel for Boys of Veerasaiva Community at Sri. SakkariKaradappaChowki and later at Gandhi Nagar with the help of Togari Veeramallappa.
Right from the inception, the Sangha has concentrated its efforts in the most needed and vital areas. It is proud on the part of us to name some.